Saturday, October 4, 2014

Buttery Roasted Peaches with Greek Yogurt

This is an idea I've been meaning to try for a while, but I whenever I got peaches they always disappeared too quickly! I first saw it on The Londoner, and I've come across it several times since. We're heading into the first days of autumn now, but to me this recipe is the best of summer.
Roasted peaches with honey and Greek yogurt
I definitely recommend roasting any peaches that are not very good for eating on their own. The batch I used this time was not great, plus they might have been sitting in the fridge for 2~ish weeks waiting for me to get to them...But roasted, they were delicious!

This recipe is super simple and only takes a few minutes to put together. I used 4 peaches, 1/4 C butter, about 1/2 C honey, and a tablespoon or so of cinnamon.

Set the oven to 350°F, cut the peaches in half and remove the pit. I also cut out a little bit around where the pit was, since my peaches were quite old and just slightly dry in the center.

Arrange the peaches in a small baking dish (whatever fits your peaches best). Cut the butter (1/2 stick) into 8 pieces and put one in each peach half so that it nestles in the hollow where the pit was. 

Now the fun part - drizzle honey all over the peaches! Good, fresh peaches might need less, but I added more since I was betting on these peaches not being very sweet. I probably used about 1/2 cup of honey.
Sprinkle cinnamon over the top to taste, and any other spices you might want. (Ginger? Nutmeg? I really need to try this with some different options!)
Bake at 350°F for about 30 minutes, or until the peaches are quite soft (you can poke them with a fork) and slightly darkened, and everything is bubbling nicely. Mmmmm...smells delicious!
The butter combines with the honey and peach juices to bake into a sweet, sugary glaze perfect for pouring over the top of your dessert! (Or breakfast. I'm not judging.)

At this point you could easily eat it just like it is, or top it with whipped cream, ice cream, you get the idea. I topped mine with about 1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt, and then poured more of the pan glaze over the top to sweeten the yogurt. The cool, tart yogurt melted just slightly over the sweet, warm peach and made the perfect combination.


Buttery Roasted Peaches with Greek Yogurt
Makes 8 servings

4 peaches, cut in half with pits removed
1/2 C honey
1/4 C butter (half stick)
1-4 tsp cinnamon
Optional - other spices, such as ginger or nutmeg
4 C Greek yogurt (or ice cream, or whipped cream)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut butter into 8 pieces (1/2 tbs each). Arrange cut peaches in a baking dish and place one piece of butter in the center of each half. Drizzle the honey over the peaches and then sprinkle with cinnamon and/or other spices. Bake for about 30 minutes or until peaches are tender and golden (test with a fork). 

Remove from oven. Before serving, top each half with 1/2 C Greek yogurt, and drizzle some of the extra liquid from the pan over the top. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment