Saturday, August 16, 2014

Butterfly Wings Nail Art

This is probably my favorite nail art that I've done. I was worried it would be too complicated, but it came out fantastic! 
I have some nail art pens, which made this actually pretty simple, once I had a couple reference images in front of me. When I was looking up some different examples, I just couldn't decide what background color to go with, so I ended up using five different ones! I love the rainbow effect that it made.



First paint your nails with any color you want! Jewel tones make great butterfly wings. Once it dries (make sure it's really solid - I always get impatient), you can start drawing on the wing. You can do this with pens, like I did, or a small nail art brush.

Start with an off-center arch on the bottom of your nail, then 3-5 loops like flower petals up towards the top. Don't forget to leave room for the black section!
Let the lines dry for a little bit, then fill in around them with the black. Make sure that's really set before doing the white dots.

Use a dotting tool or a nail polish pen to place a bunch of random dots on the black part - don't forget to make them slightly different sizes! A good variety really helps. Finish with as many clear coats as you like. I used several, because I really wanted these to last for a while!
These are the polishes I used. The pens are one of those "as seen on TV" things, and the nail polish inside them is frankly not very good, but the pen tip can definitely be pretty neat.

No comments:

Post a Comment